This weekend we had a little detour with starting our bee hive. We ended up getting a lot of help from some great folks over at Viking Permaculture with moving a bee colony from an old boat into our hive.
We also were very lucky to meet some volunteers that wanted some practice working on a tiny house before building their own.
A special thanks to Brian and Katie for all the sealing and painting that you did for us this weekend!
We should be picking up the rest of our windows and cutting them in this weekend, stay tuned…
Over two Saturdays we were able to frame the rafters for our roof, then sheet it and add rolled roofing. We also sheeted the upper part of the walls to complete our outer frame. I wanted an offset peak for our roof because of the way we will enter and leave our loft. The most head room should be where your head is, and since our stairs will follow up one wall, that’s the side that we moved the roof peak to.
We also bought the rest of our windows so the next post will be about us cutting up our lovely walls and putting the windows and door in. We only had two windows purchased at the time of framing so that should explain the photos:
We had a great range of weather, from light rain to the usual intense heat (around 109 degrees). When it gets like that all you can do is work in 20-30 minute bursts then cool down and get some water. I didn’t say we are the smartest people around.
The rolled roofing is really our sub-roof, we will be adding a metal roof on later probably after we seal and paint the rest of the walls and get all the windows and door in.
Because what else is there to ask for? A roof for starters… but we have the four walls part down at least for now. We are picking up more lumber and building our roof this weekend and next. These photos span 5 Saturdays and one 109 degree Sunday. We had to skip some days for rainy weather and birthdays/holidays. All together about two months. Here are some more photos to catch up:
We traditionally framed three walls, and built the last one in place. The first wall we sheeted before putting up so that it would hold together better when we carried it over. The 2nd and third walls we sheeted after standing up since they are smaller.
We also changed from using OSB to plywood sheets. This is mainly due to the strength difference, if you wanted to save a few hundred bucks you could do all OSB sheets but for the strength of the structure we did not want to skimp.
You should have noticed we only have two windows. We have only bought two windows so far, and that’s where they are going. We are buying the rest of our windows soon and cutting them into place. We should be able to put them and our door all in before the end of July.